Monday, October 19, 2015

Transit in L.A.

I've touched on public transportation in a few of my other posts, but I wanted to write one that features all of the different modes available because transit is not something you think about when you think about getting around L.A. True, it can be more of a hassle using buses and the limited Metro system, but the truth is there are more rail lines available to take here than there are in my home city of Seattle, which I've heard called the "Europe of America" more than once.
Public transportation can be very much like the chicken and the egg- it needs a lot of funding to become a useful system, but no one wants to pay for it because they don't use it, because it's not a useful system. Hope springs eternal for we transit nerds, though, so I believe that one day, I won't be laughed at or looked at incredulously when I talk about navigating L.A. without a car.
 If you choose not to rent a car at the airport, the best way to get to downtown is by the $5 shuttle to Union Station. This place also happens to be the main connector for all transit in the region, so it's a good place to figure out how to navigate around the city.
Plus, you can enjoy an old-timey feel of a time when trains really were the main way to get around. Union Station is a pretty gorgeous place.

 Self-serve kiosks get you on your way, with a helpful attendant for those not used to using the system.

 For a city of people who don't use transit, this place sure was busy with people scrambling to their train or bus.

Traveling between cities by train really is super convenient. You'll need to utilize buses on each end, most likely, but it beats sitting in 2-3 mph traffic for 2 hours.

 Lots of tourist stops are served by the Metro system. Large info booths are located at each entrance, and the fact that there are only a few lines makes navigating it pretty simple.

 You'll need a Tap card to use the system, which is $1 on top of the fare. The card is reusable and it gives you a transfer between buses and trains, which using cash on the buses won't get you.

 I'm still not a big fan of L.A., but I have to say it grew on me more this trip than it had before, mostly because I wasn't chauffeured around everywhere and was able to move about using my preferred modes- transit and feet. Here's hoping Los Angeles keeps building on the good base they have here and make even the most car-crazy Angelenos consider taking a ride on the rails.