Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Crafty Copenhagen

Choosing a tour can be difficult when you're looking to see the city outside of the normal tourist destinations. Due to my short stay in the city, I was looking for a tour that would give me a good overview of the city outside of the famous Center.


Bike the City was my ultimate choice due to their unique 'Danish Design by Bike' tours. For 229 kronars, you get a bike for the day (due back at 10am the next day for some fun night riding) and a phone with a specially designed GPS program.

A collection of 6 ceramics artists work together in the basement, with a store out front. Each artist uses different techniques to create their pieces. I was taken on a tour of the studio space by Claire, who told me I was the first person to arrive due to the tour.

When you're love for one hobby isn't enough, create a space to celebrate two of them. A cozy space to browse for music and enjoy a nice caffeinated beverage.

Right next to the cafe was a park space, which repeated after every building down this street. This area used to be used as a shooting gallery for the King's army, After the military moved away, the spaces were converted for use by the residents.
Sitting in the forground is my valiant steed for the day.

A bike shop where all the bikes are made up of recycled antique bikes. Beautifully designed that I wish I had the capacity to bring one home with me. They do rent by the day, which I may have to indulge in on my next trip.

A collective of 3 designers in a small storefront. Jewelry and small household items are featured.

The first stop in the famous Christiania neighborhood, this oven maker hosts a museum featuring metalworks from famous designers from Denmark, including the man who created The Little Mermaid statue that lives on the waterfront.

I apologize for the low quality of this picture. This foundry is made up of 3 women metalsmiths who create custom pieces of all kinds. If you stick around for a short time, you can see some of the work being done right behind the register.

Another collective, 3 artists creating jewelry and fine wood toys. It's quite nice to be able to walk into a store and see so many different designers styles. I'm sure the artists appreciate the ability to easily collaborate and inspire each other, as well.

Specializing in brushes, this store features pieces created by the blind community of Denmark. Opened in 1993, the store employs blind and visually impaired persons as well.

I am sorry to say I don't have any information on this lighting store as the location was closed until mid-Oct, according to that little sign on the door, and I forgot to write down the name given by the GPS.
Located in the Center, this space is tucked into a courtyard, whose building is one of the oldest in the city. This would of course be after the 2nd great fire of Copenhagen,

Not actually featured on the tour, but I couldn't resist documenting a store featuring a Seattle legend and frequent feature of the soundtrack of my childhood. Jimi is never far away, no matter where in the world I seem to travel.

Books! Glorious books! The only store not to primarily feature crafts made in Copenhagen on the tour. This store specializes in travel and world culture. A regular spot to practice multiple languages and see great musical performances. They even throw in a free cup of coffee or tea if you tell them you're on a 'Bike the City' tour!

Located in an old guard house, this gallery features art from a famous Danish children's artist. Some of Olsen's less well-known adult art is also present.

The final stop on the tour. Located in another guard house just down the way from the previous gallery, Albrechtsens is not just an gallery but also runs the world's smallest theater, with space for just 16-18 spectators. They also manage The Bunker, a WWII bunker converted into an exhibition space.

-------

A 15km journey completed just as dinner time was calling. A more pleasant way to see Copenhagen I can't imagine, and I look forward to returning and enjoying the second Danish by Design tour offered by Bike the City.