Thursday, October 8, 2015

Copenhagen Couchsurfing Host's Tour

I was so fortunate to be hosted by a wonderful couple living near the center of Copenhagen. My timing couldn't have been better, as they were packing up to move to a new location the coming weekend. The morning of my arrival, I was greeted with coffee (brought from the husband's, Thomas, favorite roastery in Southern California) and fresh backed bread. After an overnight bus ride from Berlin, these touches of hospitality were greatly appreciated. The wife, Karina, was full of wonderful ideas that took me to some tourist spots and some spots off the beaten path. She had grabbed a map of the city and we spent about half an hour marking interesting spots to visit. Being a world traveler herself, it was great talking about the differences in culture you see when flying around the world and the things that makes your home feel comfortable to you.

Thomas invited me to check out the restaurant in The Tower where he works as a sous chef. The building houses the legislature and the judiciary of Denmark. I enjoyed a traditional smorsbord of pickled herring on rye bread. Quite a bit fancier of a dining experience than I'm used to on my travels.

The location is ideal to display old coats of arms and statuary that used to adorn royal buildings or were models for the statues that currently surround The Tower.

The stairs aren't allowed to be climbed, but they accentuate the 11-meter high ceilings quite nicely.

 Above the restaurant, it is free to check out the highest point. The day couldn't have been better for some wandering.

 Biking and walking are considered major modes of transportation and the facilities supporting them are kept up admirably. Also, lots of art found off the roads with cars can be found. This strange structure is located on the Den Gronne Sti, right off of Falkoner Alle where my hosts were staying.

 A community garden, a passion I wish I had more time to pursue.

Quite a pleasant surprise to happen upon this space. As a former community gardener, it makes me feel connected to people all around the world knowing there are other passionate people advocating for the need to grow food in cities.

Jaegersborggade, a locally famous street full of boutiques, restaurants, and cafés that is quite popular in the evening.
I only got to appreciate it the morning I was departing, but there were still plenty of people wandering the street for their morning coffee and pastry.
 A Danish in Denmark. I couldn't not. Meyers Madhus, pictured in the background, provided this tasty treat. Not only are they a wonderful bakery (the Danish might have been one of the best things I ate my entire time in Europe), they also host training classes to teach you how to make your own.

Assistens Cemetery. Not only a cemetery, but a popular jogging route, picnic spot, and park.

The grave for street people, for those who died in the public space with no family to take care of them.

Soren Kierkegard's grave. As a student of religion, I was excited to visit one of my favorite philosophers and was delighted to see him surrounded by the family that supported him in his work. Located in the oldest section of the cemetery.

The famous H.C. Anderson. He lived in three places around Copenhagen, first attempting to join a ballet troup, then an acting troup, before finally settling into writing the stories that would make him famous. On a nice summer day, many people set up blankets and picnic in the grassy space around these graves.

The grave of Niels Bohr and family in a prominent location on the main path. Being outside the active burial area, this is also a popular picnicking spot for Copenhageners in the summer.

An impressive statue that couldn't be captured in just one picture.

The dates of life and death were located on the back. And in the background, you can see one of the biking paths that cut through the cemetery.

Climbing elements just over the hedge of the graves.

While the day was bright and sunny, the chill air was not conducive to a day outside. Though in the distance you can still see a water feature beckoning to kids.

Further south on the Den Gronne Sti, the University of Copenhagen established a botanical garden with every plant tagged for identification.

University students doing experiments with the pond in the background.

The garden's design encourages interaction, like this staircase that leads to a small lookout spot over the central pond.

A dormant rose trellis leading to the rose garden. Oh, how fragrant and lovely it must be at the height of summer.

Meticulously laid out and categorized rose garden, mostly dormant for the season. Though some white and yellow roses were heartily still in bloom.

The final stop on my walk down the Den Gronne Sti, a park dedicated to Dagmar, a Princess of Denmark.


And at the entryway to the Princess' park are these statues of bear or horse headed, anatomically correct creatures. I couldn't find a sign listing the artist or name, but I couldn't help by share this public artwork as one of my favorite pieces.

Right across the street from Dagmar's Plad was the Metro station where my hosts met me to send me off to the airport. Little Marius helping carry one of my bags in his pram.

I feel so fortunate to have been Thomas, Karina, and Marius' first Couchsurfing guest and wish them many more wonderful guesting and hosting experiences.