Sunday, November 8, 2015

My Daily Walk

For the past three weeks I have had the same routine Monday through Friday, leaving my hostel around 8:30am and getting to school around 8:45. One more week to go until I am a certified teacher and can spend some time exploring greater Guadalajara.

Home Sweet Home
The hostel where me and two of my classmates are staying. The staff at Vilasanta have become good friends, chatting after a long day of class and keeping us supplied with an ample amount of coffee.

The corner store just down the block from Vilasanta. For all your snacking needs until 11pm.

 Street art abounds in Guadalajara. Street signs aren't really regulated here, so this one has been covered the entire time I've been here.
 I actually see this mural on my walk home as it is on the east side of the building when I walk east in the morn and west in the evening. It's about two blocks from the hostel on Madero next to another convenience store.

 Daily news fix, ready for ya. On the right side of the picture you can just make out the bike lane that is at sidewalk level, keeping people cycling safe from traffic.
A view of Federalisimo waiting to cross. Pedestrians don't have a signal at most intersections, just being expected to use the car signals. Every street is one-way, unless it has a barrier between the sides like this street, which means if you're walking against traffic, you have to look behind you for the signal.

 The first bookstore I pass in the morning.

 The second bookstore I pass in the morning. In El Centro, there are about 2-3 book stores every 2-3 blocks. There are a lot of bookstores that focus on the Catholic Church and tomes related to theology. I find this especially amusing, considering one of the main arguments for Protestantism was the fact that the Church was very against translating the bible in the vulgar tongue, wanting the people to depend on priests to interpret the teachings.

 When I see the sign for Crew Love, I know I'm only a block away from school. It's a nice signpost.
And we finally come to ITTO, International Teacher Training Organization. Every day from 9am-1pm, you'll find a classroom of students discussing the mechanics of teaching in a student centered way and creating lesson plans for our afternoon practice session. Next door is an adjunct location for the English language school.

 Right across the street from ITTO is our office supply store. If you need school supplies or copies, they've got you covered.

And finally we come to the main IMAC location.
The walk-up window there sells all the text books students will need as they progress through the program. IMAC believes in total immersion, so students are forced to use only English for hour or two they are in class each day, the books also only contain English text. Considering it may be the only English they hear throughout the day, it's important they get the exposure. Computer lab, conversation classes, and more are included in the tuition, and students are encouraged to take full advantage of all the resources offered. If they try hard and don't pass the placement exam for the next level, they are allowed to take the previous course for free.
I feel quite lucky to be able to observe and be observed by dedicated teachers who share my teaching philosophy that anyone can learn a language if you're dedicated to practicing it.